Wednesday, March 18, 2009

You're due when?

Julie left this afternoon.

Our visits together are never long enough, but always treasured.


I made reference to her "condition" in my post yesterday, but I've never really made an announcement on here.

So, in case you didn't know, my long time friend and her husband are expecting their first child.

I've known since January, but kept her secret because she wasn't ready to tell just yet. As with most first time pregnancies she and Frank are swimming in unknown waters and just didn't want the whole world to know until they knew things were ok. So my lips stayed sealed until I was given the green light, but I still didn't feel alright announcing such big news to the whole world.

So what changed? Well, first of all Julie has blog of her own in which she talks openly about her pregnancy, so I didn't think it'd be such a big deal now if I talked about it from my perspective. Also, she has a bump. A large bump. There's no hiding now. No secret keeping. The bump is a dead give away that there's a baby on the way.

Before you ask me anything I'm going to brief you on what I know:

Julie is due in September
They are not going to find out the gender. They want to be surprised.
She would appreciate it you wouldn't invade her personal bubble to touch her belly. Just don't do it.

There, now that all that is out in the open I can share with you how excited I am about this baby. I can think of no one that deserves to be a mother more than her, and I'm going to be an aunt again! Albeit, an honorary aunt, but who are we kidding? This kid is going to get just as much attention from me as my actual factual nieces and nephews. So, just call me Auntie Joanna.

I have to tell you a little story about Julie's visit. I already told you about how we're still hot, but there was another incident, if you will, but one quite different.

I decided that Little Bunny (that's the nick name she gave the baby at my urging to discontinue the use of "it" in reference to her unborn child) should have a t-shirt from my town. Little Bunny needs to know early where to find Auntie Joanna if Mommy and Daddy are being disagreeable. So I took Julie to our local Chamber of Commerce to pick something up. The older gentleman working there was very friendly and chatty, so we told him that Julie was expecting and that I was gifting a shirt for the baby. He took one look at Julie and said, "Oh, well it won't be long now." Julie didn't skip a beat and replied, "Actually I'm due in September." Old Gentleman got quiet and his face went blank. He looked at her belly again and said, "Well, you must be having four babies!"

What else is there to do in reply to that but laugh? I laughed. I laughed a lot. Julie politely laughed off his comment and made some statement about just carrying big. I think it was an effort not to cry or panic over the possibility that there is some mutant growing inside her that is going to break all infant birth weight records.

Needless to say, Julie's bump is quite obvious. Here's visual proof:


She wakes up in the morning and says, "I'm pretty sure I grew over night."