Monday, December 7, 2009

Mrs.Kringle's Cookie bake off!

Psst!

I entered a cookie contest. After you read my post please go vote for me. If I win I get lots of awesome prizes. And if you go leave a comment and vote for your favorite cookie you can win something too!

Click here to vote for me and view other contestant entries.

This year I thought Santa might like something different when he comes calling. I know the standard is chocolate chip cookies, but those have to get old after the first thousand or so. Don't you think?

I was wracking my brain to come up with something wonderful for Santa, but just couldn't think what to do.

So I had a conference with Santa's helpers.

Wouldn't you know, those sweet little things came right to my rescue. They are partial to recipes including carrots and were positively insistent that I should use those as my feature ingredient. I gave in. They are Santa's helpers after all and they know him better than me.

I spent all afternoon in the kitchen grating carrots and sifting flour to create the perfect Carrot Cake Cookies for Santa.

Once I finished I asked his helpers if they would be so kind as to taste test them for me. "Why of course!" they exclaimed.

"They certainly smell lovely!
Or am I only smelling the carrots?"
"Oh yes! These are positively
delightful!"
The helpful helpers passed judgment on the cookies, "These are certain to be Santa's new favorite cookie!"

So, in case you are reading this Santa, I just wanted you to know that we are ready for you. The halls are decked and the stockings are hung. You're the only thing missing.

And your new favorite cookie is waiting with a nice, cold glass of milk.

But you'd better hurry or your helpers might eat them all.


Carrot Cake Cookies with White Chocolate Cream Cheese Icing


2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 T ground cinnamon
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 (8 oz) can crushed pineapple, drained
3/4 cup shredded carrots
1 cup raisins
1 cup wheat germ
1 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
1 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350. Line a baking sheet with parchment.

In a large bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.

In the bowl of an electric mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar until smooth. Add the eggs one at a time. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.

Beat in the pineapple, carrots and raisins until well incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl again.

Add the wheat germ and flour mixture to the batter and mix until combined.

Remove the bowl from the mixer and fold in the oats and walnuts.

Drop in rounded tablespoons onto the cookie sheet about 2 inches apart. The cookies will spread considerably while baking. Bake for about 20 minutes, until the cookies begin to brown slightly around the edges.

Allow to cool slightly on the cookie sheet before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

For the icing:

1 (12 oz) bag white chocolate chips
1 (3 oz) package cream cheese, room temperature

In a double boiler, over medium-low heat, melt the white chocolate chips. Once melted add in the cream cheese. It's important for it to be room temperature. If the cream cheese is still cold it will cause the chocolate to seize up. If this happens just put the mixture back over the double boiler and stir until it's smooth.

Use a fork to drizzle the mixture over the cooled cookies. Allow the icing to set.

Or go ahead and eat a cookie because you can't wait!

*Baker's note and a disclaimer:

The walnuts and raisins are optional. I didn't put raisins in mine because we don't like them.

Also, these cookies are, of course, for humans. I don't feed my bunnies cookies. However, Milton did take a little nibble before I realized he was eating a cookie and not a carrot.