Monday, November 30, 2009

Thanksgiving Redux

Thanksgiving was a success.

Thanks, in no small part, to my husband and mother-in-law.

Everyone arrived safely even though it was snowing.

Andy had the ENTIRE day off and the ski slope opened the next day.

I only got a little frazzled because my kitchen is too small and I need more counter space. In reality my kitchen is large compared to other apartment kitchens, but I need a lot of space.

I went totally overboard and made way too much food, but that was alright because that meant people could take a bunch home and we still had plenty of leftovers.

The floor didn't fall in from all the extra weight (like Andy predicted it would).

The menu consisted of: Appetizers - a cheese ball and crackers, a cheese and meat tray, pumpkin dip with ginger snaps. Dinner- Maple brined turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, green beans, stuffing, corn, roasted acorn squash, stewed apples, homemade dinner rolls. Dessert - Apple pie, pumpkin pie, pecan pie, cupcakes, brownies, sugar cookies.

Some photos of the day:

Before most people arrived and
before I got flustered
Checkin' the bird
Betty Crocker
The spread
Dessert
(The cupcakes were kept hidden
until the last possible moment)
Brunswick pauses for a moment to say,
"Mom! We've been invaded!!!"
The whole group

The rest of the weekend was peaceful and mostly uneventful. We don't shop on Black Friday because 1) Andy hates crowds and 2) years of working in retail have given me a complex about the day and I avoid it at all costs.

We did go out on Saturday night to get out of the house for a bit. The town and shopping centers were actually calm by that point so we didn't feel like we needed a nap afterward. While we were gone Milton had a temper tantrum. Details to come.

I haven't been hungry since Thursday afternoon, but for some reason I can't stop eating. My stomach is about to stage a revolt!

How was your holiday?