Tuesday, December 23, 2008

'Tis the season for homemade baked goods

I bake at Christmas time.

A lot.

It's just what I do.

Andy and I don't eat it all, of course, we give a lot of it away as gifts. Getting cookies is way better than getting the latest electronic gadget. In the coming months our gift isn't forgotten because it has permanently attached itself to our loved ones' waists. ::wink::

This year I made a schedule. I mean I wrote it down and everything. What to make on what day. What can be made ahead. What needs to be made closer to the day. I usually have a plan of attack, but it's always in my head. You'd be surprised how unreliable your head is when you're trying to bake ten different kinds of cookies. Mistakes are made, things are forgotten, the first half of one recipe is combined with the second half of another - making insane mutant cookies. But, boy howdy, this whole write-it-down thing really works wonders. You should all give it a try. I've done a little bit every day since Friday. I'm not exhausted or sick of baking. I am sick of cleaning dishes because there are only so many mixing bowls in my cupboards and my kitchen aid, unfortunately, only came with one bowl. That makes things difficult. But all-in-all I'd say things have been coming along swimmingly. I've got to package all of my cookies tomorrow for gifting on Thursday. I'll be sure to post pictures of the finished products so you can see proof of how talented I am all my hard work. I know you can hardly contain yourselves.

For now I'll leave you with a list of what's been coming out of my kitchen and what has yet to be created.

Caramels
Meringues
Sugar cookies with royal icing
Chocolate Citrus biscotti
Cherry chocolate chunk cookies
Palmiers
Key lime thumbprints
Chocolate pistachio biscotti
Chocolate-peppermint cookies
A carrot cake
Pecan cinnamon rolls

Tomorrow is the end of my marathon baking for another year, but we're also having Christmas dinner tomorrow, so I'm sure the fatigue will set in soon. Wish me luck!