Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Pumpkin mania

In case you haven't noticed, it's October. And with that comes all kinds of autumn produce. In particular, pumpkins. The last couple of days it has been a pumpkin madhouse around here.

First I gutted out our carving pumpkin and prepared the seeds for roasting. I used said pumpkin in my plans for staging an autumn photo shoot with the bunnies so I could share their cuteness with the world. They had other ideas.

I've also taken the time to gut and roast three pie pumpkins and make my own pumpkin puree. I know, I know. You can buy that stuff in the grocery store, but where's the fun in that? I'll tell you where the fun is. It is much more fun to go buy a can of puree rather than get angry at your food processor for not doing the job right. In the end all it needed was a little water, but much time was wasted in trying to figure that out. Trial and error right?

So now I have this giant bowl of pumpkin puree. I have a few recipes that I can use it in, but honestly I don't think I will use this much puree in the next three years. I plan on freezing it so it doesn't go bad. I didn't go through all that trouble for it to go bad, but if you are in need of any pumpkin puree in your life I've got plenty. Seriously. If we eat all this we'll turn orange.

In the meantime I'm going to focus on roasting the rest of the pumpkin seeds and continue putting my bunnies in places they don't want to be so I can get a cute picture of them surrounded by pumpkins and fake leaves. They are going to do this dang it! Because the lady with the treats says so.

**Update: About an hour after I posted this my mom called and asked if I would help her carve pumpkins with my niece and nephews this weekend. Three pumpkins, one for each kid. Oh my Lord.**