Monday, June 23, 2008

Week 1, Day 1, C25K

Andy and I started the C25K program this evening. C25K is a fitness program that slowly (over 9 weeks) works up to making you fit to run a 5k, or 3 miles. You can find more information here.

Tonight we did a 5 minute warm up walk. Then alternated 60 seconds of jogging with 90 seconds of walking. I did it, and I feel like I'm going to die. Andy was shocked to find that he is in better shape than me. That has never been the case in the length of our relationship.

But since we graduated college, I really haven't had any physical activity in my life. Working retail and being on my feet was kind of physical, but not what I was used to. In college every day was a workout. The campus was one big hill, so no matter where you went you walked up hill at least one way. And you also walked... a lot. The campus was small and it didn't make sense to drive anywhere. I even walked to work. And I carried a toddler around on my back 3-4 times a week for an hour or more. If I wasn't carrying him, I was pushing him in a stroller up all those hills.

But in the last 3 years, my physical fitness has drastically declined. Andy's, however, has stayed about the same. He continued to ski and participate in all sorts of outdoor activities.

But I'm doing something to remedy my lack of fitness. For myself, and for my future family. I'm not ready to give up on this C25K thing. It's only been one day and it wasn't any harder than I expected. I would like to go to bed immediately though. I've been limping across the apartment since we got home and Andy is eating it up. He thinks it hilarious. Yuck it up buddy, I'll be lapping you on that track before you know it!

And in a Freaky Friday moment, Andy has taken quite a liking to all things sweet. Normally I have the sweet tooth and he is the one asking if I'd really like to have that extra scoop of ice cream. But lately, he joneses for a sweet every night, and if we don't have something in the house (which I've been trying to avoid) he goes and gets something. I can't tell you how many trips he's made to Boone for his new favorite sweet, the Frosty Float. He's an addict. And last week he wanted pie. So, we got pie. After our run tonight and our dinner he announced that he wanted a sweet. So he is out now, getting a sweet. I'll be interested to see what he comes back with.