Monday, July 27, 2009

Like pulling teeth

This past Saturday Andy and I joined my family for a picnic and "half-way to Christmas" get together.

As always, it was a lot of fun to see everyone and catch up. It seems like as we all grow up and start lives of our own getting the whole group together is difficult. Even on Saturday there were some people missing; my brother and his brood and two other cousins.

When I was a teenager I missed a lot of these family time things because I was working or "had more important" things to do. Then I grew up a little bit and lost a couple of family members and realized how much they all meant to me and that we wouldn't all be here forever. This has become even more clear to me since my accident in April. My friend Whitney said it best when she said, "We're all young and in our twenties and think we're invincible, but any day it could all be taken away from us."

I don't mean to sound so gloomy, but it's the truth and sometimes it takes a traumatic event to make you realize what's important.

So whenever an opportunity comes up for me to see my family or friends I like to do what I can to make sure I'm there. I also come with camera in tow because I think it's important to document these activities. If we don't get to do it again for a couple of years then we'll be totally different, there might be a few new family members, or maybe even one or two less. So I've made it my mission to capture everyone on film at every opportunity.

No matter where we are I take our tripod with me and I make everyone line up for a group shot. There is much moaning and groaning and someone usually points out that we did this the last time we were together. But I don't care.

One day, maybe years from now, they'll be glad I made them do it. And these pictures will probably be most meaningful to the biggest complainers.


Left to right, starting in the front:

Aunt Lea, Aunt Pam (with Sophie), Uncle Todd, Me, Andy, Mamaw
Wes (Luke's friend), Caleb, Luke, Bekah, Elizabeth, Hannah
Uncle Tony, Aunt Donna, My parents - Julia and Terry


**********************************************************************
On a completely different note!

Do you have a hard time finding that perfect dress?

Let me introduce you to Shabby Apple!

The Shabby Apple clothing line was introduced to me about a year ago and I think it's beautiful. They have a nack for designing stylish, chic dresses that don't show more skin than is necessary.

Take a look and if you like what you see head over to The Meanest Mom's site because she is having an awesome giveaway this week!