Sunday, April 26, 2009

Where I'd rather be today

Well good morning!

I just had my 6 am feeding. That is to say I just woke up with my 6 am alarm to take my medicine. I have to take a round every three hours. Doing this medicine routine became very annoying very quickly, but now I've worked out a system and no one has to get up in the middle of the night to help me, so I've learned to deal with it.

But usually at six I have trouble going back to sleep. It's that time of day were it's almost acceptable to be up and being productive. But I'm not very productive these days, so I just sit on the couch until sleepiness rushes back over me. Sometimes I go ahead and let the bunnies out at this time too. That is easier said than done as their cages are on the ground and my balance isn't so great on one foot and crutches don't bend, but I manage. Mostly because they start going crazy if they are locked up much past 7 and if I go back to sleep it's likely we won't wake up again until 9 and by that time they've tried to burrow to China in an effort to get out of their prisons. But this isn't why I'm blogging this morning.

I wanted to tell you about something; something and someone.

After Andy and I got married and moved onto our mountain I had very few friends. Not because it was a new place. I was very familiar with the area because we had attended college here, but everyone I had known had moved on. I'm the only one that came back. For a while it was a very lonely existence. Until one day I stumbled upon an internet discussion board for newlyweds. There were all sorts of boards I could join, but I latched on to the one set up for North Carolinians. It was nice having someone to talk to, and even though no one lived close to me they were for the most part a day trip away and knew what I was talking about when I referenced my town. Over time they have proven to be a wonderful group of women. We aren't just strangers who talk online, we're a family. We bicker and have our differences; some days are all out war. But we share our day-to-day lives together and care as much for one another as a friend that we see face to face.

It's a wonderful group of women that will go above and beyond the "call of duty" to show love and support for one another. And that is just what is happening today.

One of our fellows is going through a very rough time.

Amber and her husband are expecting their first child and upon reaching their twentieth week were given a devastating diagnosis for their daughter Megan Grace. She has a very rare form of dwarfism that will not allow her to grow and develop and ulitmately she will pass away. They don't know how long they will have with her, but have elected to cary Megan Grace to term.

I can't even begin to imagine what kind of emotional roller coaster they are on right now. My heart breaks for this familiy that so desperately wanted a child. Sometimes life seems so unfair. Amber has shown so much grace and strength during this difficult time. I admire her so for her fortitude.

Upon hearing of this heartbreak my friends banded together. They have planned multiple fundraisers and support events in honor of Megan Grace and her parents.

This morning in Charlotte there is a walk/run to raise money for a scholarship in Megan Grace's name.

After the accident one of the first things that came to my mind was that I wasn't going to be there today. It's something I have struggled with and tried to convince myself and Andy that we could drive down and I could just sit on the sidelines and cheer everyone on. Andy shot me down immediately and I even had to admit it wasn't a possibility when I nearly passed out from an extra long morning spent in doctor's offices.

So all day today I'll be thinking of my wonderful friends, and of Amber and her family. And I'm asking you to say a little prayer for them all today to. Or if you don't pray send some good "vibes" or juju or whatever it is you do. Just wish them well.

If you want to know more and possibly do something yourself you can go here to the blog my friends have set up to deliver information.

I hope you all have a wonderful Sunday.